Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Kueh Bolu


These Kueh Bolus are less than perfect due to the lack of colour on the top but they taste awesome! I baked these for my mum as they are her favourite and I'm glad that she loved this surprise I sprang on her along with a new book on fruit juices that I got her to keep her occupied in her stall! (: 

On a side note, these Kueh Bolus are NOT PERFECT.. I'm still gonna improve it with tips some ladies have shared with me.. However, since it's been requested, here it is first.. For me, I believe that appearance for this snack doesn't really matter that much cos my mum still loved it anyway. Nevertheless, I will update this recipe and improve it when I get to doing it. (:

This recipe takes about 30 minutes and yields a dozen mini cakes. This recipe was taken from Egg Me On by Evon Kow. 


Kueh Bolu Recipe
This recipe yields about 12 kueh bolus
Ingredients:

1 egg (I used Seng Choon 60g egg)
50g fine sugar
37g salted butter
47g plain flour

Some butter for greasing pan



Steps:

The mould that I got from Phoon Huat. Preheat the oven to 200 degree Celsius and place the tray that has not been greased into the oven to preheat for about 15 minutes. (Ignore greased picture.. heating up the greased tray caused black burnt butter to appear on the cakes so greasing will come at a later stage) 

Melt the butter.

Sieve the flour.

The egg and sugar ready to be whisked.

On high speedy, whisk the sugar and egg till still peaks form. 

The batter that's ready with stiff peaks!

Fold in the flour and melted butter at the same time. It's the same method as the folding of batter using hands for sponge cakes (Video included).

Remove mould from oven and grease with butter. Fill the mould with 3/4 batter. (Mine was too full!) You should have more or less sufficient for a dozen kueh bolus. I had enough batter for a small cupcake made of the same batter (: Knock/Drop the mould from a height of about 3-5cm to knock the excess air out of the batter. Bake the kueh bolus for 8 - 9 minutes or till toothpicks come out clean from the middle of a kueh bolu. I rotated my moulds after it turned slightly brown to even out the heat and colour of the kuehs. 

Kuehs are all cooked! When removed from oven, immediately flip the mould over and "knock" the bolus from the mould.. Enjoy!

Despite the fact the the colour isn't as brown as I'd love it to be, these kueh bolus tasted so soft and yet crunchy with the 'brown buttocks'! Most importantly, my mum loved them! Keep them in an air-tight container to prevent loss of moisture and I'm sure it'll be a snack everyone will love! (:

I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at cynthia.lim.hl@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (: 


4 comments:

  1. Hi, I tried the recipe today and it taste great! However, after it has cooled down, I stored them in an airtight container but it turned soft after a couple of hours when I checked it. Was urs crispy throughout? Anything I should look out for to let them stay crispy? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jenny!

    Were your bolus as pale as mine? I suspect that being this 'fair' made the skin softer.. I made them for my mum so I can't remember if they were crispy throughout though! I've got to review this recipe soon! Make some for CNY! I'll let you know when I do okay? Maybe this weekend! (:

    Love,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you season new kueh bolu mould from Ailin Bakery.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...