Monday, June 18, 2012

Mustard Green Chicken Rice

This image is the pork rendition of this dish. 

This Mustard Green Chicken Rice is one pot, one meal dish I've had since I was a child. Mustard greens are bitter but somehow, I just love this rice so much that I can eat bowl after bowl after bowl till' I'm too stuffed to move! The original version I know of uses pork belly but since kakak was gonna eat it too, we used chicken (: Kakak taught me how to cook this! (: 


Mustard Green Chicken Rice Recipe
This recipe yields sufficient rice for 4-5.
Ingredients:

2 cups uncooked rice
2 bunch of mustard greens
8 cloves of garlic
1/4 ginger
30g dried shrimps (hea bee)
150 - 200g sliced chicken thigh 
(marinated with 2 tsp light soya sauce and 1 tsp sesame oil)
30g dried sliced mushroom

2 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp oil

Optional (To drizzle on top of cooked rice)
1 tbsp soya sauce
2 tbsp sesame oil




Steps:

The rice and dry the dried shrimps!

The mushroom rinsed and dried. You can also use whole dried mushrooms and slice them but since I have the sliced ones, I just used them! (:

Wash and cut up the greens. You'd want large chunks like these so as to be able to eat them when the rice is cooked! (:

Peel and flatten/smash the garlic. Slice the ginger too.

Marinate the sliced chicken thighs with the soya sauce and sesame oil.


Wash the rice twice and drain dry.

Heat up your wok with the oil on high heat and fry the ginger. It's gonna give the dish so much fragrance.

Add in the garlic and fry! (:




Add in the dried shrimps and fry!

Add in the dried mushrooms and fry!


Stir fry till fragrant! You kitchen should smell real good!

Add in the sliced chicken.

Fry it till it's 1/2 cooked.

Add the rice and stir fry!

Add 2 tbsp soya sauce and mix well!

Add in the mustard greens!

Stir fry for a minute or two!

Scoop mixture into rice cooker bowl. "Flatten" the rice as much as yo can gently with the back of a spoon and add water just enough to touch the top of the ingredients. 

Cook as per normal till rice cooker 'pops'!

In a small bowl, combine the sesame oil and light soya sauce and stir before drizzling some on top of the rice. It makes the rice even more fragrant! I'm drooling as I'm typing this and I can't wait to cook this once again! (:

I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at cynthia.lim.hl@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (: 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...