Sunday, September 25, 2011

Homemade Pizzas

This is my first attempt at baking a Homemade Pizza!
The fav boy was unwell and needed to rest so we didn't head for service that evening but headed to my place where he slept and I prepared dinner.
Firstly, it did not turn out as well as I wish it had. 
But! It was still good. This was a shared attempt with my sister (Mon) and we had fun!
This is one EXPENSIVE project! 
Probably cos' I didn't wanna be stingy on the ingredients.
I spent about $30 for everything but it can yield 5 thin personal pizzas. 
Pretty reasonable price to me!
I took 2 hours for this project.
Recipe from The Batter Baker while the roasted bell peppers recipe is from The Wednesday Chef.


Homemade Pizzas (Yields 5-6 thin personal pans)
Ingredients:

PIZZA BASE 
120ml lukewarm water
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp olive oil
200g bread flour
1/2 tsp salt

TOPPINGS (From Cold Storage, Kovan)
2 bell peppers (One green, one yellow) 
3 smoked cheese sausages
1 pineapple (You can use canned ones if you prefer)
1 piece smoked duck ($3 from roast section)
1 tomato
1 can (5 tbsp will do) of tomato pizza base
Shredded cheese ($2.99 promo from Cold Storage)

Spare bread flour for working the dough



Steps:

My pretty capsicums!

Preheat the oven to the highest temp. Mine's 250 degree Celsius. 
Oil the two bell peppers and place them apart on the baking tray.
Every 5 minutes, open the oven and, working quickly, turn the peppers using their stems, so that they aren't lying on the same side throughout the entire roasting period. You'll notice each time you move the peppers that their skin has started to wrinkle and blister, even turning brown and puffing up in spots. Try to make sure that the peppers rotate evenly throughout the process.
Do so for 45 minutes or so till the bell peppers are nicely charred.

Instant Yeast.

Sprinkle sugar and yeast over water. Set aside for 10 min till frothy.

The bread flour.

Olive oil.

Salt! Love these IKEA lil' jars!

The flour.

Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix till a dough forms.
Knead till smooth and springy.
I did mine by machine and took bout 15 mins.
By hand it'll probably take 20+ mins.

The mixing.

The mixture.
Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl.
Proof for about 30 min or till it doubles in size.
This is the part I kinda screwed. I didn't read the proof bit so I left it open.
I should have covered it but I was told by Sunesh that covering it doesn't really aid in the process of proofing. It just prevents the dough from rising. My dough 'grew' only by 50% and not 100%. It was still rather fluid but still usable!

The fav boy's smoked duck!

Slice the smoked duck. 
I love my new plastic chopping boards I got at $1.20 for 2!

Once the roasted bell peppers are done, remove them and leave on cooling rack to cool for 15-20 minutes. These can be really hot. 

YUMS!



Then, carefully peel the 'thin skin' on the bell peppers. Remove pit and seeds and what not and slice the bell peppers. They're ready to be used!

The smoked cheese sausage. This costs $8+!

Slice em'!

Dice the tomato.

The pineapple. 
I prefer fresh fruits vs canned fruits.
You may use canned pineapples if you'd like.

The diced pineapples.

Flour your kitchen top and hands generously.
Knead the dough and add more flour if it's too sticky.
Form a thin dough and prick the top with a fork to prevent rising.
Spread a lil' olive oil on the pizza surface (I forgot!) it's ready for the toppings!

Spoon the tomato paste and add all your favourite ingredients!

The pretty arrangement before sprinkling LOADS OF CHEESE cos' we love cheese!
Preheat oven to 230 degree Celsius and bake for 5 minutes before increasing temperature to 250 degree Celsius. Bake for 20 minutes or till' cheese is brown bubbly!

Yums! My crust was too thick so it wasn't cooked through.
Next attempt, I shall make it real thin! 

I'm actually looking forward to baking a Homemade Pizza again!


I'd love to see the bakes or stuff you've cooked using the blog's recipe! Do share photos of stuff you've baked or cooked using the blog's recipe with me either via FB message to http://facebook.com/limcynthia OR http://facebook.com/thebakingbiatch OR via email at cynthia.lim.hl@gmail.com! I look forward to hearing from you! (: 


2 comments:

  1. Yummy with the smoked duck and roasted peppers!! Actually, covering the dough while proofing is to prevent the top of the dough from drying out and causing a 'skin'. It shouldn't prevent the dough from rising unless it's being pressed down. If your water is cold, the dough will rise slower. If you use slightly warm water, the dough will rise faster. Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NEL: Ah! The water wasn't cold but warm. (:
    It's okay, I'm gonna try this soon to make sure I get it better this time round! Totally love the roasted peppers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...